Associate Attorney - P3
We're looking for highly motivated, creative, and collaborative attorneys to join our projects-oriented law firm. Operating outside the Big Law model, our collegial and collaborative firm enables our associate attorneys to gain momentum in their careers and further their professional development through meaningful involvement in public and private projects that benefit communities across the United States.
Why consider us?
We are a fast-growing national boutique law firm devoted exclusively to helping clients solve problems involving the nation's most complex and high-profile projects in infrastructure, environmental, conservation, real estate, land use, project delivery methods, airports, rail, transit, renewable energy, and tribal law. While the Firm is organized into these primary practice areas, we pride ourselves on complex, collaborative work, and associates will regularly work with colleagues across all of our practice areas and offices. Nearly half of our practice groups and partners (and over a quarter of our attorneys as a whole) received recognition from Chambers & Partners in their 2022 USA rankings, reflecting our Firms outsized achievements and national recognition. The work we do is rewarding and we are tremendously proud of the superior services our team is able to provide to our clients.
Founded in 2003 to provide an alternative to the business of law as usual, our Firms focus remains on our colleagues as well as our clients. We believe that when you enjoy working with a great team, know that your contributions make a difference, and are able to pursue a fulfilling career without hindering personal life responsibilities and choices, your professional life can and should be more enjoyable and rewarding.
We are proud to be recognized for both the quality of our work and the opportunities for our associates to learn and grow. Our associates are uniquely positioned to have a significant impact on clients from day one, while also gaining valuable experience and training. We believe that as an associate you should have a path toward partnership, and our collective mentoring approach has resulted in a number of internally promoted partners.
Position Details & Benefits:
This is a full-time position to be located in either New York, NY, Washington DC, Denver, CO, or San Francisco, CA. We have an annual expectation of 1,600 billable hours for our associates, and we have incorporated our values into this target by including an unlimited amount of approved pro bono hours when meeting this target. The salary range is $146,000 - $185,000 commensurate with experience and office location. We offer medical, dental, vision, HSA, FSA, STD, LTD, group term life insurance, 401(k), unlimited PTO, and parental leave. The Firm will also cover some public transportation costs.
In this role, you will:
- Advise public and private sector clients spanning multiple sectors with project values ranging from $50 million to in excess of $10 billion.
- Engage on projects nationwide across multiple industry sectors. Recent experience spans surface transportation (e.g. roads, transit and rail, bridges and tunnels, and autonomous vehicles), airports, water, government facilities, transit-oriented and mixed-use development, broadband, and renewables.
- Draft and review procurement and construction packages including those using alternative project delivery methods, such as public-private partnerships (P3), predevelopment agreements (PDAs), design-build, and progressive design-build contracting.
- Help create new and innovative project delivery structures tailored to a particular performance, funding, environmental, technological, and community considerations.
- Meaningfully interact with clients and counterparties without the burden of artificial hierarchical constraints.
- You will be supported by a firm of like-minded attorneys who are passionate and knowledgeable about infrastructure-focused disciplines at a time of unprecedented national attention to infrastructure issues. These are the same issues that the Firm was founded less than 20 years ago to advise on, and for which the firm continues to be a leading advocate nationally.
You will excel in this role by:
- Having 2 - 7 years of relevant transactional experience in infrastructure, transportation, real estate, housing, public procurement, and public and/or private finance matters.
- Demonstrating exceptional writing, analytical, and advocacy skills and ability to successfully interact with clients and colleagues.
- Adapting quickly in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment to successfully multi-task and manage deadlines to proactively complete transactions.
- Having a high comfort level in working both independently as well as in a team environment.
- Taking initiative by being action-oriented, immediately responsible for your client,
- Showing academic excellence and leadership, having achieved a law degree from an accredited law school.
- Being admitted to practice in a U.S. jurisdiction (New York, California, Texas, Colorado, or Florida preferred).
You will stand out from other candidates if you:
- Draft contracts, procurement documents, and financing documents without relying solely on form agreements.
- Have experience with various methods of major construction and project delivery procurement and contracting, such as design-build, design-build-operate-maintain,
- CM/GC, public-private partnerships (P3), and progressive models.
- Advise public sector clients and/or have experience working in a relevant public sector position.
- Manage clients and counterparties, as well as transactions and closings.
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset with a collegial, team-focused approach to the practice of law.
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and attentively listen, actively engage, and effectively communicate complex matters.
Please include a cover letter with your resume.
Please be aware that Kaplan Kirsch & Rockwell requires all employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19. This position will require the successful candidate to show proof that they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Kaplan Kirsch & Rockwell is an equal opportunity employer and will engage in the interactive process to determine if a reasonable accommodation is appropriate to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law.
The Firm is actively committed to fostering the principles of diversity, inclusion, and equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity, disability, marital status, military status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application process, please do not hesitate to reach out by emailing [email protected]